Saturday, November 17, 2012

*BEST OF DTB #228* The Catholic Defender honors David Nunez



It was early 2010 after I returned from another deployment to Iraq that I went to Soldiers Chapel on Fort Hood.

This is when I met David Nunez for the first time. We struck off a friendship very quickly.

We both had big ideas that we wanted to do for the Catholic Community in the Fort Hood surrounding area.

I wanted to organize a coffee shop set for Soldiers and their families. The idea was to have something at least once a month that we could put something together where Soldiers could unwind and have a wholesome place to take their families.

I was also thinking of single Soldiers as well. Through this Vision, David and I were able to conduct some events featuring local groups hosting some family get togethers.

We also were able to host John Michael Talbot and Eric Genuis to come and play for our Community. Eric Genuis has come back twice more to play at Copperas Cove Catholic Church just outside of Fort Hood.

We worked together on a number of projects which I am so thankful. He would join me in singing for a group of Senior Citizens on a Tuesday night. He would play the piano and or the guitar for the people.

He also would come to the house and play music with my wife Gigi who would sing together playing the piano and the autoharp.

Early on, David would join the Rosary Patrol praying the Rosary on the radio with us. His contribution was always great. We organizd a meeting at my house with Eric Genuis to promote prolife awareness and met with local pro-life leaders.

I encouraged him to think about joining the Knights of Columbus which he ultimately did. As time went on, David wanted to join a monestery, at first he was very interested in joining John Michael Talbots Little Portion's group based out of Eureka Springs Arkansas. In the end, David would settle for something near Houston Texas.

Working for the Catholic Community on Fort Hood, David was very important in helping the Catholic Priests. I would be there many times finding David always deeply involved in Post projects. He was a major player at the daily Mass always providing music for the Community.

I have never met someone who was as humble than David Nunez. He was always thinking of others before himself.

I remember on one occasion when David brought his Mother with him to visit Gigi and me. He really loved his Mother and his family. On other occasions, David would bring friends with him who he wanted me to talk too about the Catholic Faith.

David was a strong Catholic who had a deep love for Jesus Christ and His Church. David was one of the early members, a Charter Member of deepertruth. All of us at deepertruth will miss David Nunez, he will always be remembered for his zeal and humility.

Recently, David was in a coma and he did not survive. Even though it has been awhile that I had seen David because of his role in a monestery, he was a close personal friend. David, we love you and will miss you. David, may the perpetual light of Christ shine upon you now and forever more. Amen.


Home page
DTB facebook Page
You Tube
Blog Talk Radio Show

No comments:

Post a Comment