Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Catholic Defender: St. Anthony, Help

Have you ever witnessed something that defies logic?

Something that really shocked you in disbelief?

When I worked at the New Orleans MEPS, I remember one particular morning I'll never forget.

I placed my keys and wallet in or on my desk  before going out to conduct Physical Training.

This was what I would ordinarily do each morning because I wanted secure these items.  So this day began without anything extra ordinary, but this would change.

When I came back, we were knee deep in Applicants who were preparing to go on the floor. The Physician will observe movements making sure that the Applicants are able to perform simple exercises.

Since I was in my PT clothes, I wanted to help get them in and out so they could go through their processing in the MEPS.

I helped out with the physicals until almost noon when I went back into my office to shower and change into my uniform.

After taking care of myself, I went to my office because I had an important meeting to attend.  

To my surprise, I could not find my keys.  I began looking everywhere for them.

I asked everyone to include going to the other sections in the MEPS, but to no avail.

I could not find the keys.  At the end of the day, I ended up having to get a ride home with a friend.

We would have to cross over the  Mississippi bridge and it was about a 30 minute drive to the Belle Chase Naval Base where we lived.

My wife Gigi and Matt actually went back to pick up
the jeep to bring it home.  That was a major frustration to lose those keys.

The next day, I had to borrow Gigi's keys to drive the jeep to work. During the day, despite all efforts, I still could not find the keys and so another day passed and I was about to think the keys were gone for good.

On the third day, I still did not find the keys and I still had to borrow Gigi's set of keys to drive the jeep.

It was about noon when I left the MEPS to go make a run down to the National Guard Clothing Sales to get some things for Class A's.

On my way back I debated where I was going to get lunch.  I thought about McDonald's that was up on the right about a mile.

I thought about eating something from Taco Bell, but as I drove on I decided to stop at Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I literally turned in on a dime as it was just the spur of the moment.

At this point, I did not know I was going to pull in there until that last moment.

I drove up to the take out window and placed my order, then I drove around to the window and paid my bill.

I basically sat there and waited for my paid lunch.

I was still frustrated about losing my keys, I just knew they were placed on my desk by me.

It was about this point I recalled St. Anthony being the Patron of lost and found articles.

I kind of wondered why I had not thought about St. Anthony before now, so I said one word to St. Anthony, "help".

What happens next was a complete surprise.  It was at this time a stranger walked up from behind my vehicle and up to my drivers side window right next to me.

He was someone I never seen before, He was a civilian dressed in blue jeans with a beard and long hair and asked me if these were my keys?

He handed me these keys and I instantly recognized them as my keys.

I was completely dumbfounded.  I was stunned to say the least, I looked up and he was gone.

I was shocked as I sat there at Kentucky Fried Chicken, with my keys that I hadn't seen in three days, right in my hands.

Nobody, not even me knew that I was going to be there when I was there. I almost decided to go up the road to McDonald's for a hamburger but at the last second turned in where I turned in.

The individual was civilian, would never had been on an Military base, and didn't know me from Adam.

Shocked with my keys in hand, the stranger was gone as quickly as he came. I called Gigi to let her know what just happened and she thought I was high on something.

I now really need another miracle to find my medical health records as they have disappeared, I need them in three days.  St. Anthony, Help!

I recall Hebrews 13:2-3, "Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unkowingly entertained angels."  Well, sometimes the Lord uses His Saints too!



Home page
DTB facebook Page
You Tube
Blog Talk Radio Show

No comments:

Post a Comment