Thursday, November 7, 2013

If we want to be healed, we have to be willing to pay the price

Recently, I took it upon my self to apologize to two one-time friends for some rash and very angry words on my part. So far, I received no response from one (which is perfectly fine), and quite a lot of push-back from the other. I will not name her, I will not participate in an escalation of this, though she has clearly attempted to do so. I apologized to her, not because I wanted to or because I think reconciliation is possible. I did so because my Savior requires it.

The Bible tells us to love our enemies and to pray for them.

My Savior sees my sins and He sees my weaknesses. I cannot hide them from Him. If I claim to come before God, broken and sorrowful, I cannot do so holding hate and anger in my heart. I must desire what is best for this person and that is her salvation. Of course, we know that that salvation comes only through God's Catholic church and that she can almost assuredly only find heaven by becoming a Catholic. That is not my work to do. Mine is only to witness and pray and leave it to the Holy Spirit.

Is it possible for a non-Catholic to be saved? Yes. It depends on how earnestly they truly strive to find the truth. Only God can know the answer to that- just as only God can know how truly sorry I am for my sins and weaknesses. The Bible says "Judge not lest ye be judged and the measure that you use will be measured out against you".

I can not know her heart any more than she hypocritically acts as if she knows mine. I can know truth, however, and I do. I know what the Church Jesus created looks like. It is One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic. The late Rich Mullins correctly observed that God does not love me because I am good. He loves me because He is good. He loves me despite my phobias and weaknesses and addictions. He loves me through His Church, not instead of it.

I know Scripture and I know history. Most of all, I know what Grace is. I know that, with it, I can finish the race. Without it, I am the one who is finished.

The Scriptures tell me that my church is the dispenser of that Grace and I can cry out, with bold assurance, Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus!








Home page
DTB facebook Page
You Tube
Blog Talk Radio Show

No comments:

Post a Comment