Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Catholic Defender: Jerry Laine Rose, An American Hero

On Monday, 16 December, 2013 it was announced that Retired SGT Jerry Laine Rose had passed away in his sleep.

SGT Rose was one of my Soldiers serving with the 2-5 Cav, 1st Cav Div.  and this news was a terrible shock to all of his family and friends.

SGT Rose was well liked by his teams as he served as a Senior Line Medic and he worked with the Forward Aid Station in Iraq.

He was responsible for many things supporting the Battalion and Company Elements preparing them for deployment and while being deployed.   During our talks he was always respectful and never had a bad thing to say about anyone.  I am proud to have served with SGT Rose, he was a true American Hero.

SGT Rose is picture standing on the far left, he might have been short in stature, but he had the heart of a lion. 

He had that "Can Do" spirit, he was fully able and competent.  He never froze in the heat of battle when the dead and wounded came in.

He took care of his Soldiers and at the end of the day, that is what matters most.

Many of our readers might not understand what it is to be deployed for 12-15 months at a time.  The sacrifices Soldiers and their families undergo for the sake of freedom around the world.  Every Soldier that we were able to help save from battle injuries, there would be a family waiting at home for their loved one.

SGT Rose retired from the Military serving four years with the United States Air Force and then 16 years in the United States Army.  I am honored to have served with about 5 years with him.

I remember we had a fun debate on the Harry Potter books and movies, he really liked that series and he never wavered in his support for them.  He had strong integrity and commitment to accomplishing the mission.

Occasionally I would find SGT Rose on his Facebook page and I would sometimes see how he was doing, he always looked forward to doing the things he loved.  He would care for his animals and he seemed satisfied with his retired life from the service.  He will be truly missed by all who knew him.


 The Combat Medic Prayer



Oh, Lord I ask for the divine strength to meet the demands of my profession. Help me to be the finest medic, both technically and tactically. If I am called to the battlefield, give me the courage to conserve our fighting forces by providing medical care to all who are in need. If I am called to a mission of peace, give me the strength to lead by caring for those who need my assistance. Finally, Lord, help me to take care of my own spiritual, physical and emotional needs. Teach me to trust in your presence and never-failing love. Amen.



Home page
DTB facebook Page
You Tube
Blog Talk Radio Show

No comments:

Post a Comment